Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hungry Girl's Dreamy Chicken

Recipe under review: Dreamy Butternut Chicken Foil Pack from Hungry Girl's 300 Under 300
First impression: yum (I love sweeter dishes!)
Verdict: unexpected mush.... but still yum!

So this recipe immediately popped out at me because A) I love easy chicken dishes and B) I'm quite fond of orange veggies.  My first thoughts upon starting were unfortunately "this is much harder than the book makes it seem" :(  It lists prep time as 15 mins, and while I don't think I'm terrible with a knife I'm definitely not great so I expect it to take a little longer on most prep things... no way!  Cutting that butternut squash takes forever!  Then there's still the cauliflower and onion to worry about.  (props to HG for hiding cauliflower so well and making it so tasty!)  

So I finally get done the veggies... the rest is pretty easy!  Just layer the veggies then the chicken on some foil and make a cute packet and put it in the oven.  Everything seemed all well and good, until I took it out.  It looked a bit like mush.  I was so disappointed.  I looked back to find the picture in the book (which can be found at the link above!)  and the shapes of the veggies definitely looked nothing like mine.  I read back through the recipe and discovered the problem, the book says "slice" and "chop" which to me are thin and small pieces respectively, however the picture shows big chunks of veggies!  So I had these small pieces of veggies cooking as long as hunks of chicken, and they mostly just disintegrated into a sauce that greatly outweighed the chicken.  So while it tasted good, mush is not my favorite thing to eat.  

Here's what mine turned out like for comparison (I will try to be better about taking pics along the way for anyone who may also try these things!)

Dreamy Butternut Chicken Foil Pack - Finished Product

So overall, GREAT flavor if you like sweeter savory dishes, but there are definitely some things I would do differently next time.  It also seemed to make more than 2 servings, but I wasn't super hungry when I got home last night so that might have been it.  I think I'm going to put the leftovers over some Dreamfields or whole wheat pasta and use it as a sauce rather than a stand-alone meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment