Friday, May 27, 2011

The Mac Attacked Alright...

Recipe under review: Cheeseburger Mac Attack from Hungry Girl's 300 Under 300
First impression: skeptical
Verdict: what do I do with the leftovers? ughh.

I was quickly browsing through the book for a quick and simple crock pot meal because I knew my first week of the internship would have me way to worn out to cook every night (and I was unaware of all the Dreamy leftovers I'd have!)  So this one seemed easy enough and seemed tasty, I like cheeseburgers!  I got all the ingredients... kinda, this is when I should have known I'd be having problems. 

Normally I can find ground turkey, but this time, no dice, so this was made with 90/10 ground beef.  No big deal but then there was the Green Giant cauliflower, comes in 10 oz packages... recipe calls for 24 oz, really?  (There are value sized bags that are 24 oz, but I couldn't locate them in my new grocery store) And I don't normally use ketchup so I just got the smallest I could find and found some low carb pasta so the rest of it came together pretty nice at the grocery store.

So thankfully, the prep was just as easy as it seemed!  Boiled half a box of pasta (a little less maybe, I did measure it out) for half the time, then mixed the flavors into the beef, then layered everything in the crock pot.  Mixing the beef was when I started to get really nervous for this dish, my kitchen smelled like a big mac, which I don't like.  Anywho, I have a very modestly sized crock pot and it all fit quite nice if anyone is worried about that!  I only put in two Cauliflower and Cheese boxes rather than opening one and using half.  Again, problems.  Because there were two frozen blocks, it was very hard to stir.  Oh well, I figured it would mix in eventually...

So I turn it on low and head to work and hope for the best!  I did get a little caught up at work so everything was probably cooking closer to 10 hours than 7-8 but it's a crock pot so I figured no big deal.

what I left to cook...

what I came home to :(
So my lack of mixing seemed pretty apparent when I came home to burnt noodles up on the side, but for the most part things seemed okay.  So I mixed in the last cheese and added some reduced fat parm, just because I could.  It didn't get any prettier.  It's suppose to make 8 servings, but it looked more like 4 to me, so I served up a quarter of the mixed stuff and tried it.  

my dinner!
So overall, I'm glad I tried it.  It wasn't terrible by any means, but definitely not something I'll make again.  It just didn't taste like anything in particular, and it was kinda mushy.  I'm big into textures and things like this just aren't my style, so maybe it could be someone else's favorite meal, but for me, eh.  I'll try to eat the leftovers or find something to do with them but honestly I just wasn't impressed enough to  be excited to eat this again :(  Also, it made a total mess of my crock pot, took quite some effort to clean it up after!

No comments:

Post a Comment