Saturday, September 22, 2012

Lazy Morning Overnight Smoothies


Recipe under review: Make Ahead Oatmeal Smoothies
First Impression: This could be a lifesaver when I hit that snooze button...
Verdict: Pretty tasty, definitely need to experiment with some flavors!

So the tricky thing about these smoothies is you need Chia Seeds.  I found them at Whole Foods.  They are a bit pricey but you don't use too many so I'm hoping the bag will last a while.  Otherwise everything else is super easy to find and work with!
What I started with (see the Chia Seed bag?)
The first step is to pulverize the chia and oatmeal together to make a powdery consistency.  I did this (and the whole recipe) in my Magic Bullet, which is super awesome for smoothie-life in general.

Oatmeal + Chia
After that you just add the rest of your normal old smoothie ingredients!  I did peach greek yogurt, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a banana.  Make sure you stir it a little at this point or the powder will get all stuck in the bottom/top (away from the blade and the mixing)
All in!
Then blend away until smooth!  Really, this is no more complicated than a normal smoothie you'd make in the morning.  No ice needed!

Magic Bullet does all the work!

All blended up!  
The great thing about the Magic Bullet, is that you can put a lid on the container you blended in to save for later.  No extra dishes to be cleaned!  So you just put a lid on it and stick it in the fridge to be enjoyed in the morning.  It magically thickens overnight to a thick-smoothie consistency.

Make sure you have some room in there for it.  
I think in the future I would re-blend in the morning with a little more almond milk, because it became almost too thick for me.  But overall it's great.  And as quick and easy as smoothies are, sometimes I'd much rather take that extra 10 mins in the morning to sleep or get cute.  This is also super portable so you can take it to work easily!  I also couldn't even finish the whole thing in one sitting, so two breakfasts for the work of one!

Also, she has great recipe/flavor ideas on her website!  I just happened to use what I had in my fridge already, so experiment and enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment