Friday, March 7, 2014

Slow Cooker Apple Pie Oatmeal

Recipe Experience
New Recipe of the Week, Week of 2/3
From: Skinny Mom

The idea of overnight or slow cooker oatmeal is so appealing to me.  I love the stuff for breakfast in cold winter months and am really trying to ween myself off those instant packets of processed stuff.  I wish I could say this was a keeper, but unfortunately I messed this one up big time (hey, I'm not perfect!).  I thought I had a genius plan, set it up to cook overnight before my 5k, then it will be all ready to go when I get home.  I was wrong.

  1. I sleep more than most people the way it is.  Gimme 9 hours in my bed and I'm a happy camper.
  2. I bought the wrong oatmeal, more on this later.
  3. Putting it on "warm" for hours while you go run for chocolate, still keeps it cooking and kills it in my experience.
These three things spell oatmeal disaster, and I will probably give this or something similar another try in the future, because I totally blame my silly self for this one.  I did try it, and I will tell you the flavors were great!  So again, pay attention when you make oatmeal and don't mess it up like I did.

The prep was super easy for this one, chop up some apples and stir a bunch of fun stuff into a crockpot.  I took this opportunity to take advantage of my kitchen gadgets, but it would be easy even without them.

healthy girly life: slow cooker apple pie oatmeal
the ingredients

healthy girly life: slow cooker apple pie oatmeal
apple prep!  I love my apple corer :)

healthy girly life: slow cooker apple pie oatmeal
This little chopper came in handy too!
Then it was really as easy as toss it all into the crockpot and stir.  Turned it on and went to bed :)

healthy girly life: slow cooker apple pie oatmeal
all into the crockpot!

healthy girly life: slow cooker apple pie oatmeal
after a little stir!
healthy girly life: slow cooker apple pie oatmeal
almost done!
So the problem was here.  This was pretty much done, this was the morning before I headed out to the 5k.  So I should have eaten it then or shortly there after.  Not hours later after a 5k and a rest.  And I did just immediately portion it all out, so I apologize that it's not in a nice bowl or anything.  Sometimes you just gotta eat right out of the tupperware :)

healthy girly life: slow cooker apple pie oatmeal
you can see some of the burnt bits here, I lose :(
So yeah, lesson learned.  Don't cook "quick cooking" oats overnight.  Definitely don't keep leaving them because a slow-cooker isn't supposed to burn things.  They will burn, they will be yucky.  BUT keep this flavor profile in mind because mm mm apple pie!

Have you had success with overnight oatmeal?

No comments:

Post a Comment